Job Number: 4673
Independently completes design projects from ideas, sketches, direction of the Engineering Team. Checks drawings and models created by drafters and support designers. They bring all the ideas of the team to life in a digital world. From there actual physical prototypes can be manufactured, ultimately leading to full-scale production. Acts as lead designer on assigned projects. Assists and trains new users. Develops and documents best practices. Resolves problems and discrepancies.
- Applies knowledge of all aspects of Creo CAD software & Windchill PLM used at the company.
- Assigns work to detailers and Support Designers when acting as lead designer on major programs.
- Checks designs created by Support Designers for conformity to company and customer standards and requirements, and manufacturability.
- Maintains and applies knowledge of company manufacturing capabilities and methods.
- Maintains and applies knowledge of legal requirements and test requirements for functional application of product and specifications of customer.
- Provides functional guidance to drafters, detailers, and Support Designers. Determines that detail drawings have sufficient views and allow proper interpretation of design intent. Verifies fit (clearance and interference), manufacturability (draft, wall thickness, radii) of parts and assemblies.
- Verifies that all product specifications listed on drawings are correct and communicated to the team.
- Oversees precise specifications of all piece part and sub-assembly drawings generated by drafters and detailers.
- Applies and interprets all Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing on drawings.
- Works with model maker and outside sources to provide required data files, drawings, or any additional information needed for fast and accurate prototyping.
- Performs calculations on parts and assemblies. Determines part weights, surface areas, center of gravity, etc.
A Lead CAD Designer requires a degree in ASMET or related degree and equivalent experience.